My current project is a small hanging shelf. If it turns out well it will be shipped to my Mother who will use it to display an antique clock that is 13” wide by 4” deep by 19” high.
I believe this is the first piece I’ve worked on that wasn’t based on a design I found online. I’d share a drawing, except other than some rough sketches on scratch paper I haven’t made one.
I’ve wanted to build something that required no glue, nails, or other fasteners.
This piece will be composed of:
1 24” long piece of walnut, 3” wide, that will get screwed to the wall.
2 24” high side rails in cherry, 4 ¾” deep at their deepest point, narrowed down to 2” at the top.
1 20” wide by 4 ⅞” deep walnut shelf
The shelf will attach to the cherry sides with tusk tenons, held in place with walnut pegs.
The cherry sides will attach to the piece of walnut that is fastened to the wall with a kind of french cleat. I’m making a dado in the walnut wall piece, with an angled hook behind the dado. The holes for the screws will be in this dado. The cherry rails will fit inside the dado, and with complimentary angled hooks slide over the walnut, hiding the screws attaching the piece to the wall.
Sorry if that doesn’t make much sense. I’ll post pictures as I get to these points.
Because the french cleat joint by itself isn’t secure enough for me to trust I won’t get blamed for the loss of my deceased grandmother’s clock, the bottom shelf will extend behind the cherry side pieces by ⅛”. This will make the angle between the shelf, the wall, and the top piece something just a bit more than 90 degrees, and will help keep the cherry rails firmly in the hooks up top.
When I’m ready to cut the mortise for the bottom shelf, I’ll measure what the angle actually is (roughly ⅛” over 20”), and transfer that angle to the mortise for the bottom shelf so it is level.
That’s the plan as of this afternoon, anyway.
So far I’ve cut the pieces out to rough size, and cleaned the walnut pieces up.
I chose to get the curves cut on the cherry rails before finishing work on the surfaces, as I decided I was more likely to chip out the wood doing these curves than I was working with the planes.
So not a lot to show just yet. That said, I don’t think this will take too much longer to do.